Hosting News - Other common questions

Other common questions

Contents

  • What is a "/21"?
  • Why can't I take my existing IP addresses from my old ISP to my new ISP?
  • Can I register a domain name with APNIC?
  • Does APNIC provide connectivity?
  • Can APNIC recommend a service provider in my area?
  • How do I become an Internet Service Provider?

What is a "/21"?

A /21 ("slash 21") refers to 21 most significant bits that form the prefix in a 32 bit address. To be allocated a /21 means you will receive 2048 IP addresses. For more information see Can I obtain a Class C?

Why can't I take my existing IP addresses from my old ISP to my new ISP?

APNIC makes portable allocations to organisations. All customer assignments and sub-allocations made from those allocations are non-portable and should be made on a lease basis. This means that if the end-user changes service providers they should return the space assigned to them by the ISP, obtain an assignment from the new ISP and renumber into that ISP's address block. For more information see section 11.4 of Policies for address space management in the Asia Pacific region.

Address ranges need to remain aggregated to protect the Internet routing system. Taking addresses from one ISP to another fragments address ranges, which leads to added pressure on the global routing tables. Therefore, when APNIC allocates a range of addresses, it is on the condition that the range remains aggregated and that customers are not allowed to "take" addresses away to other providers.

APNIC acknowledges that organisations changing ISPs will be inconvenienced by the need to renumber their networks, but these efforts are necessary to protect the health of the global network. Also, renumbering into a larger, aggregated address range is likely to provide the organisation with a more reliable connection to the Internet than maintaining a small, individually routed network.

Can I register a domain name with APNIC?

No. APNIC is not involved in domain name registration. Your ISP may be able to help you register a domain name. For more information about TLD ( level domain) and ccTLD (country code level domain) registrations, visit the ICANN website.

Does APNIC provide connectivity?

No. You will need to get connectivity from an Internet Service Provider.

Can APNIC recommend a service provider in my area?

No. APNIC cannot do this; however, you are welcome to browse our lists of members. Please note that APNIC does not make any representations as to the suitability or types of services of any of our members.

How do I become an Internet Service Provider?

APNIC has no specific requirements for those wishing to start up as an ISP. Also, because government regulation issues may vary around the world, APNIC is not able to offer advice in this regard.

0 comments: