IPv6 Documentation prefix

IPv6 Documentation prefix

Contents

  • What is the IPv6 documentation prefix?
  • What range of IPv6 addresses can I use as examples in my documentation?
  • Do I have to apply to use a prefix in my own documentation?
  • Where can I get more information?

What is the IPv6 documentation prefix?

In technical books, articles, and training material, it is often necessary to show examples of IP addresses in use. To avoid confusion, it has been decided to set aside a range of addresses that operators will know should never be routed to the public Internet. The documentation prefix is the IPv6 address range that has been set aside for this purpose.

What range of IPv6 addresses can I use as examples in my documentation?

The /32 ranges that has been reserved for documentation is:

2001:0DB8::/32

Do I have to apply to use a prefix in my own documentation?

No. You can use addresses from the documentation prefix in your documents at any time.

Where can I get more information?

The IETF has created an RFC containing information on the documentation prefix. For more details, see RFC 3849.

0 comments: