Lame delegation response FAQs

Lame delegation response FAQs

Contents

  • Why is APNIC contacting people about this issue?
  • Why is APNIC contacting me, specifically, about this issue?
  • How can I test my name servers to determine if they are giving authoritative answers for my in-addr.arpa zone(s)?
  • How can I correct the situation so my servers are no longer considered lame for the listed zones?
  • How can I make modifications to my registration records in the APNIC Whois Database?
  • If I do not make the corrections to my name server, what are the consequences?
  • My delegation has already been removed from DNS. How can I get it reinstated?
  • What do I do if the name servers you have contacted me about are not under my control?
  • I am no longer serving as the point of contact for this registered IP address space. What should I do?
  • My organization is not responsible for one or more of the name servers you have listed, they belong to our upstream provider. Why have you contacted me and what do I need to do?
  • What if I don't know the password to update the database?
  • I am not a member of APNIC - I obtained the address space from another registry and it has since been transferred. What should I do?
  • How do I contact APNIC if I have additional questions about this issue that are not answered by the email I received or this web page?

Why is APNIC contacting people about this issue?

The APNIC community has created a policy that instructs the APNIC Secretariat to identify lame delegations, contact the responsible parties, and advise them to fix their misconfigured in-addr.arpa name servers.

This policy has been created because lame delegations have been shown to result in extra load on the root servers of DNS.

Why is APNIC contacting me, specifically, about this issue?

You have been contacted because you are listed as an admin-c or tech-c in the APNIC Whois Database for the domain record responsible for the lame in-addr.arpa delegation.

A list of those reverse delegations currently identified as lame is available at:

How can I test my name servers to determine if they are giving authoritative answers for my in-addr.arpa zone(s)?

There are a few tools that can issue DNS commands. The command line tool called 'dig' can be used to ask for data from a particular server. For example, to verify that the zone called 2.0.192.in-addr.arpa is being served by myns.company.com, issue the command:

dig @myns.company.com 2.0.192.in-addr.arpa soa

This asks for the SOA record from the zone. If there is any error in the reply, or if the reply does not claim to be authoritative (look for 'aa' in the flags), then the server is not configured properly.

How can I correct the situation so my servers are no longer considered lame for the listed zones?

Either your servers are misconfigured or your registration record in the APNIC Whois Database does not properly reflect the name servers that you intend to be authoritative for your reverse delegated zones. If your name servers are misconfigured, please reconfigure them so they provide authoritative responses to queries for your in-addr.arpa zones. If you have the wrong name servers listed in the APNIC Whois Database, please update your registration record.

How can I make modifications to my registration records in the APNIC Whois Database?

The nserver(s) entries of domain objects can be updated using:

  • MyAPNIC
  • Online form
  • Text form

If you require further assistance please contact the APNIC helpdesk either via email at helpdesk@apnic.net, or phone +61 7 3858 3188.

If I do not make the corrections to my name server, what are the consequences?

If you do not make the corrections, your delegation will be removed from the global DNS, and your reverse DNS registration records (domain objects) will be marked as lame in the APNIC Whois Database. This policy will not affect your IPv4 registration records in any way.

My delegation has already been removed from DNS. How can I get it reinstated?

Update the domain record using one of the methods listed in question 5.

What do I do if the name servers you have contacted me about are not under my control?

If the name server you have designated for in-addr.arpa on your registration record is not under your control, please contact the administrator of that name server and notify them of the situation.

I am no longer serving as the point of contact for this registered IP address space. What should I do?

Please contact APNIC helpdesk via email at helpdesk@apnic.net or phone +61 7 3858 3188.

My organisation is not responsible for one or more of the name servers you have listed, they belong to our upstream provider. Why have you contacted me and what do I need to do?

You have been contacted because you are an administrative or technical contact currently associated with this domain record in the APNIC Whois Database. If you do not maintain the in-addr.arpa name server(s) associated with this record, then you should contact the person responsible for this server(s) at your upstream provider and alert them to the problem.

What if I don't know the password to update the database?

If you are a member of APNIC, please send an email to helpdesk@apnic.net and we will reset the password for you. If you are not a member of APNIC, please see the next question.

I am not a member of APNIC - I obtained the address space from another registry and it has since been transferred. What should I do?

Please review the information and fill out the form available at:

How do I contact APNIC if I have additional questions about this issue that are not answered by the email I received or this web page?

You can either call the APNIC helpdesk on +61 7 3858 3188, or send your questions via e-mail to helpdesk@apnic.net.

0 comments: